London is special. A buzzing multicultural metropolis filled with so much to see and do I genuinely feel there’s something for everyone. As much as I love London, there’s always a little guy deep down calling to the Australian in me asking ‘Oi mate, where’s the bush? Where’s the bloody nature at?’
Being somewhat of a people pleaser and not wanting to upset this little guy, 3 of my closest friends and I have found a secret escape to help satisfy of anyone needing a digital detox. Situated to the south of Snowdonia in Wales is a pure paradise in the form of Old Chapel Farm.
Our days consist of waking up in a Yurt, sitting around the fire, preparing our next meal in the Magic School bus (a London bus converted into a kitchen), hiking through the verdant mountains and trips to local villages to collect ingredients for a mezze platter (yes food is very important to us). This, my friends, is what life is about.
We hire a car from just outside London and drive around 3.5 hours finishing at the Old Chaple Farm.
HOW LONG TO STAY
The ideal time period is around 3 days but we’ve toyed with the idea of spending a week.
BEST TIME OF YEAR
All year round. We’ve been in both winter and summer and each of these experiences have been uniquely special.
REASONS TO GO
- The accommodation – You’re staying in a Yurt. Once you experience yurt life you won’t want to go back.
- The countryside – Wales is a seriously special place.
- The hosts – Fran and Michael rebuild the farm to what it is today. They believe in a sustainable way of living and run ecotourism programs.
- The animals – Direct contact with real life living animals.
THINGS TO DO
We spent our days going on walks, exploring the local towns and collecting ingredients for epic dinners prepared in the Magic School Bus (kitchen).
- Beautiful walks in every direction.
- Light a fire, sit back with a coffee and contemplated life.
- Llanidloes (4miles, 8mins) a small friendly town where you can buy basic supplies.
- Aberystwyth (30 miles, 1 hour) Coastal university town. The Arts Centre stages musical and theatrical productions.
- Montgomery Castle (25 miles, 40 mins) A romantic ruin in a lovely small market town.
HOW TO BOOK
Book by emailing Fran directly: email@example.com